Friday 24 February 2012

14 Days of Free Film Challenge - Day Six, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Despite being ridiculously tired and having the concentration span of a flea, I decided to watch Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night. I'm sure if I put my mind to it I would have enjoyed it more but, as it was, I was just very confused by it all. Reading the synopsis on IMDB has helped, but surely you should be able to understand a film without having to have it summarised for you.

Basically, a top British spy hears a rumour that there's a mole in the security agency and he sets out to find out which of his colleagues is guilty. But you get that much from the trailer. The film involves a lot of jumping around within different times and locations, so you really do have to make an effort to link it all together and keep on top of the story.

This film has an amazing cast, including Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch and John Hurt. As you'd expect, the acting is top class, which is the highlight of the film. The actors are recognisable enough that you can follow their characters across scenes, but the jumps in time make it difficult - especially when one character dies near the start of the film but features frequently in flashbacks throughout the rest of the film.

Basically, I'm sure this film is very good for someone who has a longer concentration span and an interest in spy films but it wasn't really for me. I think it's probably my problem rather than the film's however, as it's been well acclaimed by the various awards this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment