Saturday 25 February 2012

14 Days of Free Film Challenge - Day Seven, Troll Hunter

My experience with Troll Hunter started with some frustration. The Blockbuster employee said to me "I have to draw your attention to the fact that this film is subtitled". As you can see in my previous blog post, this sort of thing really irritates me. Employees (or facilitators of film!!!) should not have to make people aware.

Anyway, back to the film. The best way to describe this film is as the Blair Witch Project, but about trolls instead of witches, and good instead of awful. Some students join a Troll Hunter as he, well, hunts trolls.

The film is pretty much self-explanatory and consists of 'found footage' which was apparently posted to the film company. This film is exciting and also slightly scary. The characters which doubt the existence of trolls ultimately suffer for their believes, and it is slightly disturbing that trolls can specifically identify and prey on Christians or believers of God.

The trolls themselves are not too convincing, although they appear to be models rather than CG which is good. However, obviously I have never seen a troll and, until then, I don't suppose I can judge whether a troll is convincing or not!

The main things I have learnt from this film are: trolls DO live under bridges and eat goats, they either turn to stone or explode, and Norwegian for troll urine is 'troll piss'. So, as you can see, it is a very educational and entertaining film. Well worth watching for an hour and a half's entertainment. It doesn't take itself too seriously, which ultimately works in its favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment