Tuesday 28 February 2012

14 Days of Free Film Challenge: Day Ten, Beginners

Watching this the day after Christopher Plummer won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar, I was expecting a lot. I wasn't disappointed, but it wasn't what I expected at all.

This film is really quirky. There's a Jack Russell who speaks through subtitles, an old man that comes out as gay in his 80s and a hotel roller skating incident.

But it's also very cute. It's a story of love, various forms of love. There's love between a man and a woman, love between two men and love between a father and son. The tag line
of this film is 'this is what love looks like', and I definitely hope so. Although it doesn't always run smooth, love here is fun, beautiful and free and that's what makes this film good.

Based on the director's experience with his father, this film is very honest and open and the performances from the three main actors, Plummer, Ewan McGregor and Melenie Laurent, are superb. They are each perfect for their roles and make the characters real and relatable.

As I took this film back to Blockbuster, I also brought it on Blu-Ray so I can enjoy it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment