Tuesday 21 February 2012

14 Days of Free Film Challenge - Day Three, Tyrannosaur

I'd heard a lot of good things about Tyrannosaur and, to be honest, I wasn't disappointed. Eddie Marsan scares me in every film I've seen him in and this was no exception. He plays the abusive husband of Olivia Colman's Hannah and is terrifying. It is Peter Mullan's character Joseph, however, that is the focus of the film. He leads a self-destructive life; he even admits that he killed his dog because he lost at the bookies. He finds Hannah and they both change each other's lives.

This film is intense and brutal - definitely not for people who are easily shocked or offended. I think the main reason for this is the film's realism. It's a film similar to these 'gritty English dramas' that seem to popular at the moment, like This is England, Football Factory etc. This means the violence and extreme situations depicted are more effective as they seem more real.

The best part of this film for me is Olivia Colman. I was never a fan of her in Peep Show, but she really excels here. Her performance is so intense and emotional that the viewer can really connect with her and care about what she's going through.

This film is so intense, it's a good thing it's only around 90 minutes long! It's also an excellent example of why David Cameron shouldn't ruin British film by only making commercial hits. We need films like Tyrannosaur.

2 comments:

  1. I really didn't like this film. It just felt like a cynical excercise in cashing in on the current "kitchen sink drama" trend by ticking boxes and whilst I'm sure that wasn't the case, that's how it felt. Acting aside, it just felt devoid of passion and soul and like Paddy Considine was trying too hard to be his pal, Shane Meadows.

    And there weren't any dinosaurs.

    Still, I love the poster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes, definite lack of dinosaurs there! Fat women just don't pass for dinosaurs in my opinion. It did feel very Shane Meadows-ish but yeh, the acting was definitely the high point.

    ReplyDelete